I don't have any cool new pictures to post or exciting adventures to rave about but I want to give you all a little update. Life since Cancun has been pretty tedious. I finished the fieldwork portion of my research project the week after got back from my fabulous vacation. Now, it is pure writing. It is going pretty well. I have plenty to say. I am of course, super hard on myself, and am not thoroughly impressed with my analysis. But, I am going to stick with my same ideas for my senior thesis so hopefully, they will develop. And of course, I will be better able to articulate myself in English. I have until April 25th to finish everything up. Then, I will take a week to make corrections and receive feedback from my mentor. I leave for Mexico City on May 3rd. I present on the 4th. I wasn't nervous until I learned last week that the presentation counts towards my final grade. That adds to the pressure. Dave and I are meeting up in the Mexico City airport on May 5th and then it is off to Cancun, Palenque, Yaxchilan, and Bonampak. YAY! That sort of shows how much I love Chiapas. I leave and then come 2 days later!! But there is so much that I didn't get the chance to see. And besides, this way I can leave a lot of my stuff with the lady I live with. I will pick it up right before heading home. I didn't really want to travel with 3 months worth of crap. I head back to the US on May 17th. But I fly directly to the bay area so that I can move out of my apartment and figure out all the details of where I will live next year. Adult stuff. I can say that for reals now that I am an official adult. Hopefully adult life will be more exciting than my 21st birthday was. I didn't do much. But that's ok. I will make up for it in a few weeks!
I am really starting to miss everyone. I love Chiapas. Although I could definitely live and work here forever, I don't know if I could leave my family and friends. I know that the Lord put me in my family for a reason. I am who I am because of them. I have a testimony that we will be together forever, no matter what. My testimony is not perfect. But nobody, and I mean nobody, can convince me that there is nothing more to our existence than the short time we live on Earth. Perhaps I could accept it if I lived in a bubble. I could say to myself, 'my life isn't so bad. i am pretty comfortable. maybe this is as good as it gets...' But when I see people living in extreme poverty, when I see people struggling with mental illness or physical handicaps, or when I see people grieving over the loss of a loved one, I am overwhelmed by the feeling that there is a God. Their pain will be but a moment. We will all have the chance to live in perfect peace in the presence of Jesus Christ and our Heavenly Parents for all eternity. I believe that we will be surprised by the mercy of our Savior. Black, white, rich, poor, Mormon, and not Mormon--everyone will have to opportunity to accept the infinite and intimate Atonement of Jesus Christ. That's what I believe. That's what helps me make sense of the pain and suffering that I have seen people endure. My faith doesn't make me perfect, but it makes me a better person than I would be without it. And that's precisely why I believe.
I love you all!
wow...what a powerful testimony. Thank you for sharing that with me. You make me want to be so much better. I wish I could be touching peoples lives like you are. I cant wait to hear about all your adventures in person. See you this summer :)!!!!
ReplyDelete